Week 13 Prompt Response

Image via: https://unsplash.com/photos/a-group-of-people-holding-up-books-in-front-of-a-pile-of-logs-XLFmu8wJWpk

Reading is reading, period. Whether you are an adult who enjoys reading young adult or children's literature, you should be able to read whatever you want without judgment. One way that I try to serve adults who enjoy YA literature is by including teen material in my displays! We do have a way to track some statistics on how well our displays too, so I'd be interested to see how well our YA books have circulated. Another way that I promote them to adults is through readers advisory. I will often say something along the lines of "It sounds like you are looking for a book like [insert title here], it is a YA book but I think you'd love it! YA is great for teens and adults!" and most of the time people are opening to trying it. 

I have the same approach with graphic novels. I will include them in book displays and suggest them in readers advisory interaction. I get more people who are hesitant or flat out refuse to try a graphic novel. I try to reassure them that it is still reading, despite popular belief. I often told parents when I worked in the children's department that you brain has to work harder because it has to process both the text and the illustrations. I came across this fantastic blog from the Markham Public Library when I did some research on the benefits of reading them last semester. 

Comments

  1. Great response! I also love the link that you included on the benefits of reading graphic novels. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts