Week 15 Prompt Response

There are a few ways that we try to market our fiction collection to patrons and one way I would like to continue marketing our collection. 


1) I often create small displays for every program that I do. Right now, I am doing mostly technology-related and workforce development programming. Before a program, I'll gather about 10 books or so and put them on my welcome table with a sign-in sheet, a sign letting them know they can check out those books, bookmarks, handouts, stickers, etc. I include whatever we have on hand. The photo I included was from an online job-searching program. I got to host a Women of History Vision Board program with Gal's Guide to the Galaxy at the end of March, so I pulled a bunch of non-fiction and fiction books. I forgot to take a picture, but the program was a blast! 


2) I will talk more about this in my final project but we change our book displays every month. We have them planned out for the rest of the year with the subject, who is doing it, and which specific display. We also have to keep track of every book that goes on display. It can be a pain because it adds an extra step but we are slowly collecting data on which topics do well for our community. After all of our controversy, the board made us start keeping track and include certain topics. I am hoping with our new board we won't have to do certain displays anymore, like Bill of Rights Day. Super random and we don't have many books that specific. 

For my final project, I just did a display for Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage month! Sometimes we focus on genres, heritage months, or more general topics. The photo below is from my last display before we closed for browsing due to construction. This was for Science Fiction Day on February 2nd. I always try to include a variety of materials and books. I sometimes pull from the teen section or add a board game. 


3) This might be an obvious one. but book clubs are great too. Since our assignment, I have continued attending our mystery book club at my library and we had 20 people in attendance last night. Our library has so many different book clubs that I was told I'm not allowed to do one unless we get rid of one, ha! Last night we talked about how book clubs are so great for trying to read things you wouldn't normally pick up. 

4) I really hadn't thought about doing this until I started working on our final project: creating a brochure with an annotated book list. It take more time and effort, but it is something I could continue doing for our Heritage Month displays and update them next year. One of our fantastic librarians has already created genre bookmarks, but we really do not have any brochures we do besides staff picks. 


Comments

  1. Mallory, I love that you include books available to check out during the programs you host. This is a great way to highlight specific books that pair with the theme of the program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mallory, like Hanna said I love that you've incorporated book displays into the programs you host. It's something that can promote specific materials directly to an audience with interest while also tying these two facets of the library together. I think things like this can help participants form a more cohesive understanding of the library and what it offers to the area; activities, engagement, education, and community! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing a Science Fiction showcase for May since May 4th is Star Wars Day and May 11 is National Twilight Zone Day apparently? I love your physical display, I think it is super eye-catching. My showcases are virtual, and my supervisor prefers that I limit them to books published in the past year to try and improve our Dead On Arrival rate, but I think I will make some exceptions for SciFi...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incorporating books into programs is such a great idea! I even do it with my craft programs! All excellent ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts