Week 6 Prompt Response

We do a lot of displays at my library. I just finished up doing a science fiction one that included not only books but DVDs and board games to show off more of our collection. We already have genre bookmarks that are ready to go, so I included that as well. It has a list of science fiction authors on the back. Specifically, romance book displays go over well. Wyatt and Sarricks note that "Librarians know that Romances contribute greatly to their library's circulation and that Romance readers are a significant part of their patron base" (2019, p. 215). Just from my own experience, this rings true for my library. A lot of my readers advisory interactions involve romance genres. 

I thought a lot this week about how I could elevate some of the passive things we do for readers' advisory and I've come up with an idea that I might be able to implement someday (we are under construction for at least 2 months, so no browsing or displays right now). I would love to find a gumball machine and make an interactive readers' advisory display. I found one on Amazon that could work and can be set just to dispense without taking any money. My idea is to make a cute sign on Canva that says something along the lines of "Try a romance book! Dispense a title to check out!" I would love to be able to paint it our logo colors too. We can also get the capsules on Amazon too, so for about $50 we could have a passive year-round readers advisory program. It would be pretty easy to keep track of the data too by keeping track of the number of capsules we add and what is left after every month. With the machine being small, we could easily use it in any department too. 

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! I love that idea! That is so fun! Who wouldn't want to do that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm hoping after our remodel is finished, I can implement this! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts