Reading Profile

I ended 2023 with reading 89 books, which is less than the previous years but I am still proud of myself. In August of 2023, I went back to school full-time and in October, I started working full-time too. I ambitiously set my goal for 100 books in 2024, so we'll see how that goes. 

My reading year was a bit unusual from what it would normally be because I was a Collection Services Assistant from May through September-ish. For this role, I had to read young adult books and determine whether they were compliant with our collection development policy, but it has since changed and things are going back to the way they were. It was quite a task and mentally exhausting because most of the books I read violated the policy in one way or another. Because of this role, I read more young adult novels than I normally would in a year and it ended up being my top genre. My other top genres were contemporary, fantasy, middle-grade, and graphic novels according to StoryGraph. I knew I would be reading way more than usual, so I started posting more reviews to my Instagram page. I wish I had read Joyce Sarick's piece from Booklist about The Rule of Three because I feel like that would have made writing short reviews much easier. Using the rule of three to determine whether or not a book is a good fit for a patron is an easy way to remember more about what we are reading. Saricks states "One of the greatest challenges readers' advisors face is how to remember enough about a  book to share it with readers days, months, and even years after we've read it. Appeal helps us do that...try using the rule of three as a way to focus your thoughts about a book" (2009, p.25). If I had been able to do that when I was doing a lot of reader advisory work in youth services, I feel like I could have helped pick better books for patrons. I love her suggestion of creating special tags on whatever database we use to keep track of our reading - that is something I plan to implement. 

When I'm looking for an adult read, I'll usually pick up a thriller or a quick romance. I may not read a lot of adult books, but I am on BookTok so that is my secret to keeping up with what is being published and read (hello Fourth Wing!). After working in youth services for two years, I have mostly been reading children's books. This class will be a good challenge for me to read adult books and become more familiar with genres now that I am working in public services. I previously worked in youth services for about two years. 

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or StoryGraph - I use both. If you'd like to keep up with me on Instagram and see more reviews, you can follow me @bookishmalpal 😁

My Top 6 Books I Read In 2023 






Favorite Series 
Favorite Authors 
  • Ali Hazelwood (adult author - she typically writes STEM romance but she has a paranormal romance coming out 2/6/24)
  • Tessa Bailey (adult author - I specifically LOVE her TikToks! She's hilarious!)
  • Kelly Yang (children's author - I love her Instagram page and she's lovely!)
  • Mac Barnett (children's author)
  • Drew Brockington (children's author)


Comments

  1. I read "Firekeepers' Daughter" last year too and loved it! Did you read the Boulley's second book that was published as well? I liked it, but not as much as her first one. I was also glad to see a middle grade graphic novel on your favorites list. Juvenile and Tween graphic novels is one of the collection areas that I purchase for my library. I was never really a graphic novel fan before being given this collection, but now I've read a few and really liked them.

    I cannot imagine having a collection development position like the one you described. That is a lot of pressure on you to determine if materials fit your policy or not! I hope your new full time position is less stressful.

    It was good getting to know you through your reading profile. Have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, I have not read Boulley's second book yet. It's on my list! I am a HUGE middle-grade reader. I'm hoping to branch out now that I'm working in public services but we will see. If you ever need any graphic novel suggestions, let me know! :)

      The collection development gig was definitely stressful. It did branch out my reading choices though. It was kinda fun to be given a random bag of books I would have to read.

      Have a great semester!

      Delete
  2. I have been reading a lot of young adult books as well, though mostly they are my choice of read just because I am a slower reader and tend to want shorter books, but also because they fit so much better with where I am reading style wise.
    I honestly love romance books, but I tend to avoid thriller, but I am definitely branching out in this class and would love to hear one of your favorite thrillers to read when I have more free time to try and understand more of the genre and not be so intimidated to read it.
    As for Ali Hazelwood, I plan to read the "The Love Hypothesis" for this class, as well as read more of her other stories in the future, so it is great to see someone vet for her and her work, which makes me super excited to read her work!
    I'm super excited to see what else you post about in the future for this class with the books you read since you already know how to write reviews. I don't know if it will exactly transfer for the annotations, but I'm sure it will help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that I do appreciate and enjoy a good YA book now. I really read some great titles when I was a Collection Development Assistant. The Witch King by H.E. Egdmon was really good. It's a duology YA fantasy and I'm planning to read the second book.

      Some of my favorite thriller authors right now are Freida McFadden, Riley Sager, and Holly Jackson (YA). If you haven't read a Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson, I'd recommend that. It's YA and really easy to get into. I read the first and second books in less than 24 hours.

      I'm super jazzed to read Ali Hazelwood's newest book that comes out in a few weeks called Bride. It's paranormal romance, so different than her other books! I'll probably go purchase it the day it comes out.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mallory!

    Tessa Bailey is one of the authors that really got me into reading romance. I was coming out of a five-year reading slump and had no idea what I even liked to read anymore. I picked up one of her books and had an absolute blast! They're a little cheesy but still so sweet and funny.

    I've owned one of Kelly Yang's books for years and have yet to read it. I am definitely inspired to read it soon after reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hanna, I adore Tessa Bailey's TikTok page. If you haven't seen her videos, definitely look her up! She's absolutely hilarious. I went to a convention in summer of 2022 and got to meet her. She is so sweet!

      I definitely recommend Kelly Yang. She came to our library a couple of years ago and she is such a great person and advocate for intellectual freedom.

      Delete
  4. Great reading profile - so glad your new position is a lot less stressful! I met Ali Hazelwood last year when she spoke at a local winery - she was fantastic! I too also read a lot of young adult, not a thing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts