Book Review: Legends & Lattes (Graphic Novel Adaption)
Author: Travis Baldree
Title: Legends & Lattes (Graphic Novel Adaption)
Genre: Cozy fantasy, romance, graphic novel
Number of Pages: 208
Plot Summary: Viv, an orc who has spent years adventuring and fighting monsters, decides she is ready for a completely different kind of life. She hangs up her sword and sets out to open a coffee shop in the city of Thune, despite the fact that most people there have no idea what coffee even is. As Viv transforms an empty space into a welcoming café, she begins building something she didn't necessarily expect: a community. With the help of new friends, baked goods, and a little bit of luck, Viv discovers that starting over might be its own kind of adventure.
My Verdict: I have somehow managed to go this long without ever reading the original Legends & Lattes, so the graphic novel was actually my first introduction to Viv, her coffee shop, and this entire world. And I absolutely loved it.
This was exactly the kind of cozy, heartwarming, comforting story I wanted it to be. There are conflicts and obstacles along the way, but the real appeal is watching Viv slowly create a new life for herself. She isn't trying to save the world or defeat some enormous evil. She just wants to open a coffee shop.
One of my favorite parts was simply watching the café come together. It starts as this empty space and slowly becomes warmer and more welcoming as Viv adds furniture, food, people, and all of the little details that eventually make it feel like somewhere you would actually want to spend an afternoon. There's something incredibly satisfying about watching a place become a community.
The graphic novel format worked especially well for that part of the story. Since I haven't read the original novel, I can't really compare the two or say what was changed or condensed, but I never felt like I was missing something. The story felt complete on its own, and being able to actually see the coffee shop transform made the whole thing even cozier.
I also loved the relationships Viv builds along the way. This is very much a found-family story, and so much of its warmth comes from watching people slowly become important to one another. The coffee shop might technically be Viv's dream, but it eventually becomes something that belongs to all of them in different ways.
There's also something really lovely about a fantasy story centered around choosing a quieter life. Viv has already done the adventuring. She's fought monsters, traveled, and lived the kind of life that would usually be the focus of a fantasy novel. This story begins when she decides she wants something else.
Instead of glory, she wants stability. Instead of another quest, she wants coffee. And instead of constantly moving from one adventure to the next, she begins putting down roots. That ended up being one of my favorite things about the story.
Legends & Lattes: The Graphic Novel is sweet without feeling overly sugary and comforting without being completely devoid of tension. It's full of friendship, found family, baked goods, coffee, fantasy creatures, and the kind of cozy little café I desperately wish I could visit in real life.
More than anything, this book just made me happy.
I went into it having somehow avoided one of the most popular cozy fantasy books of the last several years, and I came out finally understanding why people are so attached to Viv and this world.
Now I suppose I really do need to read the novel.
Subject Headings:
Coffeehouses -- Fiction
Orcs -- Fiction
Friendship -- Fiction
Fantasy fiction
Graphic novels
Found families -- Fiction
Similar Authors:
Sangu Mandanna – If you loved the warmth, found family, and gentle fantasy elements of Legends & Lattes, Mandanna is a great next stop. The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches also focuses on people unexpectedly finding community and creating a place where they belong.
Rebecca Thorne – Thorne's Can't Spell Treason Without Tea is another cozy fantasy built around leaving behind a dangerous life and trying to create something quieter. It also mixes romance, fantasy, and the dream of opening a welcoming little business.
Sarah Beth Durst – Durst writes fantasy that often puts relationships, community, and emotional warmth at the center of the story. The Spellshop is especially good for readers who want another low-stakes fantasy about starting over, building a new life, and finding connection in an unexpected place.



Comments
Post a Comment